High-asset divorces add many layers of complexity and nuance to the already challenging aspects of traditional divorces. Executives, business owners and other affluent or otherwise highly compensated professionals have assets that need to be traced, valued and then divided in a careful way. Failure to do so can result in financial catastrophe.
Whether you have toiled away to build up a business or a career or you have inherited significant family wealth, you have the right to safeguard what is rightfully yours. Texas is community property state, which means that you and your spouse may have the right to claim a share of each other’s assets. This can create unique problems for high net worth individuals in the process of negotiating a fair marital property settlement. The legal process of discovery may be necessary to compel your spouse to reveal hidden assets, such as:
- 401(k) and other retirement accounts
- Liquid assets
- Vehicles, homes, vacation properties
- Business ownership stakes
If you are facing a divorce and have substantial assets at stake, it is important that you have advanced representation to help you identify which assets can be considered marital property, accurately value those assets, and ensure that your property rights are protected. Our team is here to help you do precisely that.
We have successfully represented professional athletes and team owners, TV personalities and celebrities, corporate executives, professionals, business owners and many other high net worth clients. Our lawyers represent high wage earners or their spouses in these matters.
Whether through negotiated settlements or litigation in the courtroom, you can rely on us to do everything in our power to protect your interests. We have experience handling cases involving all types of marital property in high-asset divorce cases, including:
- The primary residence and other residential real estate
- Retirement portfolios and investments
- Professional practices of doctors, dentists or lawyers
- Closely held businesses
- Executive compensation
- Cars, jewelry, art and other valuables
We provide the necessary services to ensure that all eligible assets are included in the marital estate and that a fair value has been assigned to each of them:
- Locating all assets: When necessary, we utilize forensic accountants and other means to locate all material assets, investigate deceptive transfers of property, and address the subject of undisclosed income.
- Character of the assets: What was owned prior to marriage is separate property, unless those assets were commingled during marriage. A prenuptial agreement, if held valid, may exclude some joint property from division.
- Accurate valuations: We bring in the necessary professionals to determine the value of the marital home, investment property, professional licenses, a stake in a privately owned company, deferred stock options and other complex assets.
In addition to a full staff and a team of partners, all of whom are board-certified specialists in family law, we have an extensive network of financial, forensic and planning professionals and experts with whom we partner. The combination of our extensive experience in family law, comprehensive knowledge and our leveraging of our resources prepares us for any case.
While we do everything we can to work through these issues in the most discreet and efficient way, we will also never back down in our advocacy. If we need to go to court on behalf of clients, our attorneys are more than willing and capable of doing so.